May 2009 - Glendora Ridge Runners Spotlight

Tyler is our Ridge Runner of the Month for May 2009.

Tyler was born in Los Angeles and has lived with his parents in Glendora all of his life. He has one brother, Cameron, who has two children, aged 3 and 1½. He loves being an uncle and helping to care for his niece and nephew when they visit.

Tyler began his running career on the Glendora High School track. He also ran cross country as a freshman.

After seeing the Ridge Runner advertisement in Classic Coffee in early 2009, Tyler joined the club. He began training with them at the APU track and showing up for the Saturday runs. He has been running four times a week with the club for several months now and is getting to know more and more of the members.

Tyler likes to run the Glendora Ridge with the club on Saturday mornings and so far this is his favorite club run. Tyler has a gift for picking up the pace at the end of a tough track workout or a race which often surprises his fellow runners. He told me he learned that from running track at high school.

One of Tyler’s favorite organized events was the Camp Pendleton Mud Run a few years ago. He ran this with his brother, Tyler said “It was muddy and hot, but we had a great time and we finished!” He has taken part in several Glendora Spring Run events.
Tyler takes his running very seriously. The day before race day he tries to get some extra rest, and in the evening he enjoys the runners’ favorite, a pasta dinner. Before the race he makes sure to warm up well to be ready to run his best.

Tyler likes to play golf with his parents and other family members and considers this his favorite, non-running sport. He is an eager sports fan and enjoys watching car racing, basketball and baseball. He follows whichever sports are in season reading the sports section every day. At the moment he is following The Lakers and The Dodgers.

He loves to visit new places and has been traveling with his family since before he was a year old. He has also been to China, Hong Kong, Japan (twice), the Caribbean, Mexico City, Cancun and Canada. In the US, he's been to Seattle, Florida, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and of course Hawaii. He goes to Hawaii almost every year. If he could go on a dream vacation, anywhere in the world, he would like to travel through Europe with his family. He would love to see England.

I asked Tyler whom he would most like to have lunch with, any one now living or dead, he said “I would love to be able to have lunch with all of my grandparents. I was very young when they passed away and I would like to be able to talk with them and find out more about their lives. I would like to let them know how I am doing.”

Tyler says he has really enjoyed running with The Glendora Ridge Runners. “I have met so many nice and caring people since I joined. Everyone is always willing to help me whenever I need assistance with anything.”